Matthew 6: 24-34

Yesterday morning was my penultimate Sunday singing with the choir at Centenary United Methodist. I've been driving an hour there and back to Quincy for three years now, and next Sunday is the last time I'll sit in the choir loft and sing with them. Sad and strange to realize so late how much the little things mean to you.

For the Memorial Day service, some names were lifted, a bell chimed, and a prayer given. The sermon, however, was about worry.

Which seems to me like a rather arbitrary choice for a Memorial Day service.

Nonetheless, it came on the heels of a week racked with the most annoying and persevering anxieties for me and all of my immediate friends. Everyone around me has been consumed with worry- and the pastor read and spoke on this:


"So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."


I don't consider myself a highly religious person. Typically, I feel no direct connection to or with a church. But this was moving. And it didnt' fall on deaf ears.

I have a job for the summer singing, I have a way to get there, and I have a plan. Fiction Plane says 'Everything will never be ok', and that's the truth. But most times, lots of things are better than you recognize.

0 comments: